(WBAY) – About two months into his campaign for the Republican nomination for president, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has stepped out of the race, saying he wants to clear the way so a candidate with a “positive conservative message can rise to the top of the field.”
Walker held a news conference Monday in Madison where he announced he was immediately suspending his campaign for 2016.
The governor invoked Ronald Reagan and the current state of politics as he spoke to the media.
“Ronald Reagan was good for America because he was an optimist. Sadly, the debate taking place in the Republican party today is not focusing on that optimistic view of America,” Gov. Walker said. “Instead, it has drifted into personal attacks. In the end, I believe the voters want to be for something and not against someone.”
The governor thanked his family, his campaign team and God before leaving the podium without taking questions.
The New York Times and numerous other media outlets confirmed Gov. Walker’s exit from the race for 2016 Monday afternoon..
After a strong start to his campaign, he started to sink in Republican polls.The latest CNN/ORC poll showed Walker with support of less than one-half a percentage point of Republicans surveyed.
The Times quoted three Republicans familiar with the governor, speaking on condition of anonymity. One source said the governor’s decision was based on money.
Gov. Walker is the second Republican candidate step out of the race for 2016. Former Texas governor Rick Perry previously dropped out of the race.
A number of statements were released following Gov. Walker’s announcement. You can find them here: http://wbay.com/2015/09/21/both-sides-reaction-to-end-of-gov-walkers-campaign/