CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Celebrate the summer peach harvest with a simple, easy-to-make dessert! Personal Chef Bill Collins from ChefBill.com, showed us how to make two different peach recipes, peach galette and peaches foster!
4-6 firm peaches, peeled and cut into 1”-2” pieces
¼ cup (half a stick) unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup rum
vanilla ice cream
1. In a large skillet over a medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Stir occasionally, until the butter melts and the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let this cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Increase the heat to medium and add the peaches. Continue to spoon the sugar mixture over the peaches, until the peaches are heated through. The edges of the peaches will start to become a bit rounded. While the peaches are heating, add the lemon juice.
3. When the peaches are heated through, add the rum* to the pan, and gently simmer for 30 seconds.
*At this point, you may choose to ignite the rum. Be very careful if you do. If you do choose to ignite the rum, make sure you have the lid for the pan immediately at hand, to cover the pan and extinguish the fire, if necessary. Also, make sure the fan in the hood vent is not on, so you won’t fan the flames. Make sure you take all precautions necessary to ensure everyone’s safety.
Serve immediately with ice cream.
1 pie dough (see below)
2 cups peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tapioca
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into very small pieces
1 egg, beaten
Preheat the oven to 400°. Set aside a baking sheet covered with parchment paper
1. In a bowl, gently combine the peaches, sugar, tapioca, and salt. Set aside.
2. Roll out the dough, and place it on the parchment paper. Add the peach mixture to middle of the pie dough leaving a two inch border
3. Add butter to the top of peaches.
4. Fold and pleat the border of dough over the peaches to form a crust.
5. Brush the dough with the egg, and evenly sprinkle the dough with the remaining teaspoon of sugar
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream
Food Processor Pie Crust
(Makes one 9″ pie shell)
¾ cups sifted flour
½ teaspoon salt
4 ½ tablespoons cold butter, cut into 4-6 pieces
Approx 2 tablespoons chilled (iced) water
1. Place the flour and salt in the food processor bowl. Pulse-chop briefly.
2. Add the butter, and pulse-chop the mixture until the butter looks like small pea sized lumps (or smaller) in the flour.
3. Add the water, ½ tablespoon at a time, and pulse-chop until the mixture has a barely sticky, dough-like texture.
4. Place the mixture into a bowl, and gently bring the dough together with your hands until it’s a firm ball of dough
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
6. When you roll out the dough, give it 5 minutes or so to soften a but so it can be more easily rolled out
You can now roll out the dough, and bake with it.