CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Instead of using traditional manicotti shells, try this delicious crepe version! We made a cheesy treat with Michael Tesoro the Owner and Chef at Ooma Tesoro’s Marinara.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup of fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Combine the eggs, milk and flour in a bowl and whisk until it has been integrated and there are no lumps of flour. Allow the mixture to side aside to allow for the flour to absorb more of the milk and egg more thoroughly.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling mixture in another bowl. Combine the ricotta, finely dice the fresh mozzarella and freshly grated Pecorino Romano, salt and black pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Brush a frying pan or crepe pan with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. With a large serving spoon or ladle add approximately 1/2 cup of the crepe mixture to the center of the pan, then quickly lift the pan to spread the mixture as thinly as possible across and around the pan. Cook until the crepe begins to pull away from the pan. Turn the crepe over for only a few seconds on the flip side. Goal is too keep the crepe supple and flexible, until lightly golden is optimal, but do not overcook. Place the crepes on a plate and continue making crepes until all the batter is gone. Gently layer them with an overlap so that they are easy to pull apart for filling.
- Place one crepe flat on a plate and add a golf ball size dollop of the cheese mixture in the center of the crepe and spread it out evenly, then add a teaspoon more to the center, then fold the crepe from the edge of one side to the center, then from the edge of the other side to the center, then turn the crepe over and place in a baking pan that has been spread with a high quality marinara sauce, like Ooma Tesoro’s Marinara. repeat until all the crepes are filled and laying parallel in the backing pan. Add more marinara sauce to the top of each and then sprinkle with Pecorino Romano.
- Bake in the over for 15 minutes and serve. Buon Appetitto!