CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Does your basement look more like a giant trash pile? Cleaning out all the junk and clutter from your basement can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! Rick Woods, Professional Organizer from The Functional Organizer shared some simple tips to help you declutter your basement.
6 Ways to Keep the Basement Organized
1. Purge unused items. Donate. Discard. Give to a friend or relative. Be ruthless.
2. Use basement as a “season switch” storage area for summer and winter household items.
3. Separate “like” items into zones.
4. Use bins (clear if possible) and/or boxes. Label what’s inside.
5. Store bins along one or two walls (1bin or box deep).
A. Stack bins and boxes along wall
B. Install some freestanding shelving units
6. Use other wall space to store bigger bulkier furniture items that don’t stack easily.