SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – There are many adorable pets available for adoption at Dakin Humane Society! Here are the pets featured on Friday’s show!
Dakin Humane Society
171 Union Street, Springfield
163 Montague Road, Leverett
(413) 548 – 9898
Ways to Help Support Dakin
1. Monetary and in-kind contributions to Dakin account for one third of our operational budget--we receive no government funding, so every dollar, every can of pet food, box of garbage bags, roll of paper towels is essential to work–improving the lives of the animals that come to Dakin every day.
2. Right now we are halfway through our monthly Guardian campaign, with a goal of 50 new monthly donors by Labor Day–just $10 a month on a credit card will feed 156 cats during their stay at Dakin.
3. Dakin’s Buddy Fund; Each day we make sure each of our animals get the medical care they need before they go off to their forever homes. Yet occasionally we encounter an animal with a health problem that is too big to fix with the limited resources we have at our disposal, such as diagnostic testing, surgery, medication and other extraordinary needs that test our resources. Donations to the Buddy Fund are essential for some animals’ journey to a new home.
4. Dakin has a terrific event coming up September 20 called Mutts & Mimosas. This is a fun brunch from 11am – 2pm at Quonquont Farm & Orchard in Whately that’s open to people and their dogs to attend. (You’re welcome to attend without a dog!) Enjoy a great brunch (you an even order a dog meal if you want), mimosas, silent auction, raffle, apple picking and other fun. Tickets are available online at dakinhumane.org under “events.”
5. When people surrender or adopt an animal, we ask them to consider adding a “cost of care” donation. Whether they’re just arriving, or have been with us a while, animals in our care often incur some big expenses, especially if they arrive with health complications that we treat. No adoption fee completely covers the expense Dakin incurs for caring for these animals, so if you are able to add a bit more of a contribution when surrendering or adopting, that can go a long way!
6. Proceeds from our many Legacy donors’ estates and our Diamonds in the Ruff Thrift Shoppe contribute to nearly 10% of our budget.
If you’re interested in adopting any of the pets seen on Mass Appeal, or want more information on any of the pets available at the Dakin Humane Society, you can call them at 781-4000 or visit DakinHumane.org.