Kitchen fire forces evacuation in Springfield

Two units at the duplex were evacuated due to carbon monoxide

PHOTO COURTESY: Springfield Fire Department. Springfield firefighters were able to put out a kitchen fire soon after arriving at 11:20pm Thursday night.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A kitchen fire forced several people to evacuate their homes in Springfield’s Memorial Square neighborhood Thursday night.

Springfield Fire Spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News firefighters were called to Jefferson Avenue around 11:20 p.m. He said they were able to quickly put out what started as a stove top fire at a side-by-side duplex.

Six people living there were displaced and are now receiving aid from the American Red Cross. Two others units at the duplex were also forced to evacuate due to carbon monoxide created by the fire. Those tenants were allowed back inside once the CO was cleared.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s