SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Columbia Gas crews are in the area of 1 Allen Street for a natural gas leak.
Springfield Fire Spokesman Dennis Leger said the high readings were discovered in a sewer manhole underneath the street.
Springfield Police Captain Robert Strzempek told 22News Hickory Street is closed by Allen Street while crews make repairs.
This is the same area where a gas leak forced an evacuation on June 27th.
27 years ago this area was evacuated because of a chlorine fire. That chlorine fire happened on June 17th 1988. It was a pool chemical company at the time it caught fire.