HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – Holyoke firefighters struggled to contain a raging fire at 9 & 11 James Street in Holyoke.
Heavy smoke could be seen from the highway as our 22News cameras got to the fire.
Lt. Jim Albert told 22News the fire started in the kitchen on the second floor of the two-family home. The homeowner noticed the fire when the oven was opened.
Chris Hopewell, Chairman of the Board of Fire Commissioners, said it started as gas fire, and because it was so hot, they needed to get the gas company to the house before shutting down the fire. Firefighters pushed neighbors away from the fire due to the concern of gas leaking and a wire down in the street. Holyoke Gas and Electric came to cut that wire down.
Firefighters had to break a hole through the roof of the building to get to the flames in the attic.
Lt. Albert said as far as they know, everyone made it out safely. At least four fire trucks, using at least two ladders, were used to put out the flames. Two firefighters were reported injured, one from heat exhaustion and another from falling down a flight of stairs.
8 people have been displaced due to the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.