CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Looking for some tasty picnic salad recipes for your 4th of July barbecues? Personal Chef Bill Collins from ChefBill.com showed us how to make three easy delicious summer salads!
Sweet Potato Salad
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds) peled and cut into uniform small pieces, about 1″
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1/2 large red onion, diced small
4 T finely chopped parsley
For the dressing:
3 T Dijon mustard
3 T ketchup
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced garlic
4 T cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T lime juice
3/4 c olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a stock pot, cover the sweet potatoes with water, and boil for 8-10 min. You should be able to pierce them with a fork, but still feel some resistance. They shouldn’t fall apart. Don’t over cook! Place a tray of ice cubes in a large bowl or another stock pot When potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and place them into the ice bath. When the potatoes have cooled through, drain them well.
2. Add peppers, onion and parsley.
3. Make the dressing by whisking together all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil. Add one teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
4. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and refrigerate until chilled through. Adjust salt and pepper, and vinegar, if needed.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
4-5 ears of cooked corn, kernels removed
½ small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 scallions, sliced
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
¼ teaspoon salt
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced, or 2-3 shakes Tabasco sauce
2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, cored, seeded and minced
1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 avocado, diced
1. Combine all of the ingredients except the avocado. Chill for at least one hour. Adjust seasoning (including salt, tabasco, and balsamic vinegar) before serving
2. Just before serving, add the avocado
Note: If you’re using dried black beans that you’ll be boiling, use approximately 8 oz of uncooked beans
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (or other lettuces)
¼ small red onion, peeled and sliced
3 scallions, sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 salad cucumbers, chopped
½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
¼ cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
¾ pound grilled steak, hamburger, or chicken, chopped
¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the last three.
2. Evenly divide the salad among 4 bowls or plates
3. Sprinkle each salad with bleu cheese, and less than one tablespoon each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.