SOUTH HADLEY, Mass (WWLP) — Red Cross volunteers are teaming up with South Hadley’s Fire Department Saturday morning to help reduce house fire deaths and injuries.
Firefighters from South Hadley’s Fire Department and Red Cross volunteers are spending their morning installing smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors for the “Home Fire Preparedness” program, which helps local families.
This is part of a multi-year program that’s taking place across western Massachusetts. Two groups of local volunteers and firefighters will visit ten homes throughout the day.
The goal of the 5-year Home Preparedness campaign is to cut the house fire death toll by more than 25%.
22News caught up with a local firefighter, and he explained why he thinks the program is so important to the community.
Firefighter and EMT Evan Briant told 22News, “We are getting into peoples houses who do not have smoke alarms. They have carbon monoxide alarms and they think that’s a smoke alarm, they both act very differently.”
On average, seven people are killed in house fires every day across the country.
Saturday, firefighters & volunteers from South Hadley’s High School football team will help install detectors, while volunteers for the Red Cross work with homeowners to come up with an escape plan in case of an emergency, like a fire or a natural disaster.