SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – People in Springfield are back in their homes after being evacuated Saturday afternoon because of a gas leak at 1 Allen Street.
20 people were evacuated along with a nearby store, and power was shut down in that building. Springfield Fire Department’s Dennis Ledger told 22News that this was done as a precautionary measure and people have since gone back into the building.
This all happened around 1:30 Saturday afternoon, fire crews received a 911 call from people in the building who said they smelled gas.
Police told 22News roads in this area are no longer blocked. Columbia Gas was able to resolve the issue.
You may remember this same building and much of the neighborhood being evacuated almost 27 years ago to the day because of a chlorine fire. That chlorine fire happened on June 17th 1988, just over 27 years ago. It was a pool chemical company at the time it caught fire.