Trash bale caught fire in Springfield Waste Management facility

A bale of trash caught fire inside the Tremont Street building

Photo courtesy: MGNonline

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield firefighters were called to a fire inside the Waste Management building in the city’s Indian Orchard section Thursday night.

Springfield Fire spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News, “there was some sort of cutting operation, and a spark got into a tightly woven bale of trash.”

Leger said the fire activated the building’s sprinkler system which kept the fire under control until firefighters arrived at about 8:20 Thursday night.

The Waste management facility is located at 203 Tremont Street.  The building was empty at the time, and no one was hurt.

Leger said there was some smoke damage

22News is covering this story and will provide updated information as it becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s