WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The second 72-hour shutdown of the Memorial Avenue Rotary will take place in a week and a half. The shutdown, scheduled to last from 10:00 P.M. on Friday, June 26 through 5:00 A.M. Tuesday, June 30, is part of the effort to replace the bridges that carry the rotary over Route 5.
During the shutdown the following roadways will be closed
- The Memorial Bridge- both eastbound and westbound
- Route 5 North from the South End Bridge to the North End Bridge (Bondi’s Island will still be accessible, however)
- Ramps from Route 5 to Memorial Avenue eastbound
MassDOT has provided the following detour information:
Signed Detour Routes
Signs will direct vehicles to several detours throughout West Springfield and neighboring communities. Please view the detour map and directions notice for additional information.
- To reach the North End or Downtown Springfield from West Springfield: Follow Main Street to the North End Bridge to cross the Connecticut River. Follow West Columbus Avenue (traveling south) to access downtown Springfield.
- To reach the South End or Downtown Springfield from West Springfield: Follow Route 5 South to the South End Bridge to cross the Connecticut River. Follow the I-91 North sign, then bear right to the Columbus Avenue exit to the South End.
- To reach Memorial Avenue from the North End or Downtown Springfield: Follow East Columbus Avenue north, across the North End Bridge. At the traffic circle, take the third exit onto Park Street, then turn left onto Main Street. Continue to MA-147 East/Memorial Avenue in West Springfield.
- To reach Memorial Avenue from the South End or Downtown Springfield: Follow West Columbus Avenue (also known as Hall of Fame Avenue) south and take the I-91 South ramp to Hartford CT. Keep right at the fork and follow signs to merge onto Route 5 North. Take the MA-57 exit toward Agawam/Southwick. At the traffic circle, take the third exit onto the MA-57 West ramp. Continue on MA-57 West for approximately 2 miles to MA-75. Take the exit toward MA-75 North Agawam Center/West Springfield. Continue on MA-75 North to MA-147 East/Memorial Avenue in West Springfield.
- To reach Route 5 Northbound north of the North End Bridge:
- Option 1: Mandatory for trucks and heavy vehicles – Via I-91: From West Springfield or Agawam, follow Route 57 eastbound and take the exit onto US-5 South toward I-91/Springfield/Hartford Connecticut. After crossing the South End Bridge, take the exit on the left to merge onto I-91 northbound. Continue 4 miles, then keep left at the fork to stay on I-91 over the North End Bridge. Take exit 13A onto Route 5 North/Riverdale St.
- Option 2: Passenger vehicles only – Via Local Roads in Agawam and West Springfield: From Downtown Springfield, follow US-5 South over the South End Bridge and take the MA-57 exit toward Agawam/Southwick. At the traffic circle, take the third exit onto the MA-57 West ramp and continue on MA-57 west for approximately 2 miles. Take the exit to MA-75 and turn right onto MA-75 North Agawam Center/West Springfield. Continue for 1 mile to MA-147 East/Suffield Street. After crossing the Westfield River, turn left onto River Street. Turn slightly right onto Park Street. At the traffic circle, take the third exit onto the Riverdale Street ramp to US-20 East/Springfield. Then merge onto Riverdale Street/US-5 North.
Pedestrians and Bicyclists: Access will be provided to the sidewalks and unmarked crosswalks on the eastbound bridge and southern portion of the rotary. Bicyclists should dismount and walk their bikes on the sidewalks. Pedestrians coming from the northern sidewalks on the Memorial Bridge or Memorial Avenue in West Springfield should cross to the southern sidewalks prior to entering the rotary.
Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) Bus Detours: Two PVTA bus routes will be impacted. PVTA Red Route 10 connects Westfield State University and Westfield Center to the bus depot in Springfield. PVTA Red Route 14 connects Feeding Hills/Agawam to the bus depot in Springfield. PVTA will provide a special shuttle with no fare from Park Street to Century Plaza traveling on Main Street in West Springfield on Saturday (7:00 AM to 9:35 PM), Sunday (9:00 AM to 7:45 PM), and Monday (5:00 AM to 11:13 PM). Please visit http://www.pvta.com for additional information.
MassDOT encourages drivers to avoid the area and seek alternate routes to minimize delays. Those traveling through the area should expect delays and should reduce speed and use caution.
For more information, questions or concerns about the work, please contact MassDOT Legislative Liaison Pahola DeLeon at (857) 368-8986 or Pahola.DeLeon@dot.state.ma.us.
For more information about the project, visit the website at http://www.mass.gov/massdot/MemorialAvenueRotaryReplacement.
The schedule for this major infrastructure project is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.