AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – Firefighters and Red Cross volunteers made their way through several Agawam neighborhoods on Monday, making homes and families safer.
It’s part of the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. Firefighters checked smoke detectors to make sure they’re working properly. They also made sure homeowners have carbon monoxide detectors, which is the law.
“A lot of the homeowners don’t know the proper locations of smoke detectors.” said Agawam Fire Inspector Jacob Dushane. That’s based on the age of your home. Each home is different, obviously, and there’s no generic map.”
Red Cross volunteers sat with homeowners to discuss how they’d get out of their home in case of an emergency, or how prepared they are for an event like a natural disaster.