Husband and wife hurt, homeless in Ware house fire

A cigarette dropped through some porch floorboards started the fire

Courtesy: Ashley Kulig via ReportIt

WARE, Mass. (WWLP) – The State Fire Marshal has been called in to help investigate a fire that hurt three people and destroyed a large house in the center of Ware Friday night.

Ware Fire Chief Thomas Coulomb told 22News the husband and wife who lived at 73 West Main Street, and a Ware firefighter were taken to Baystate Mary Lane Hospital in Ware.

The chief said the woman had chest pains, and the man had fallen and bumped his head.  The firefighter who went to the hospital had suffered dehydration.  All three have been released from the hospital.

The large one-family home at 73 West Main Street sustained extensive damage in the 5:00 p.m. fire.  Much of the front of the house was burned away.  The roof and part of the upper floor had collapsed.

Chief Coulomb said the fire was caused by a cigarette that was dropped through some floorboards in the front porch.  He said the cigarette ignited material on the ground underneath.  He said it could have been leaves, mulch or trash.

The wind whipped the flames, and the fire quickly spread to the rest of the house, destroying it.

Chief Coulomb told 22News the Red Cross was assisting the husband and wife left with no place to live.  The couple was staying with family Friday night.

Chief Coulomb said mutual aid was provided by Palmer, Belchertown, Monson, Petersham and Hardwick.  The house fire caught the Ware Fire Department short-handed, because there were two engine crews deployed to assist the town of Warren with a brush fire when the call came in Friday night.

warefirereportit3
Courtesy: Ashley Kulig via ReportIt
warefirereportit2
Courtesy: Ashley Kulig via ReportIt

Comments are closed.