GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A woman was flown to the hospital by helicopter after a candle ignited some of her clothing.
Firefighters were called to the woman’s home on Park Street in Greenfield at around 11:00 P.M. Greenfield Fire Chief Robert Strahan told 22News that the firefighters discovered that the woman was burned over a large percentage of her body.
Their investigation determined that it was the flame from a candle had caused her clothing to catch fire. There was also minor damage to the house as a result of the fire.
Building owner Dennis Wade told 22News, an upstairs neighbor saved the woman’s life using a fire extinguisher.
Wade said, “We had a fire a few years ago and since then all the halls have extinguishers, so we were well equipped, so he put his shoulder to the door and extinguished the fire, called 911, he’s a real hero.”
Fire Chief Strahan said the woman in her sixties was burned over 50 percent of her body.