Dangerous household chemicals to look out for

Where you can find them in and around your home

LUDLOW, Mass. (WWLP) –  You use them everyday and they might be dangerous.  Household cleaners come in all forms, and we use them inside and outside our homes. However, mishandle chemicals, like chlorine for your pool, you could find yourself in the emergency room.

“You want to keep it away from your skin away from your eyes away from your mouth. You don’t want to ingest it, you don’t want to get it in your eye,” said Chad Gagnon, of Sun Splash Pools and Spas in Ludlow.

If you don’t, chlorine, especially in its liquid form, can burn your eyes and skin.  If swallowed, it can burn your throat and cause serious breathing problems.

Right under your kitchen sink you might find some cleaning products with low concentrations of chlorine, but that’s not what you really need to look out for.

When it comes to household cleaners, beware of anything with bleach or ammonia. High concentrations will burn your skin, and mixing chemicals could be poisonous and potentially deadly.

Also, any cleaning products that have a “corrosive” label, are the most dangerous.  Ten percent of all toxic exposures in the U.S. actually stem from cleaning products.

A safe item you can use for your pool is a chlorine generator. You put salt into the machine, and it creates the chlorine for you, so you don’t actually have to handle the chemical. You can find these at Sun Splash Pools and Spas.

Just this Thursday afternoon in Granby, Dickinson Farm was evacuated and one employee was injured in a chemical spill.

A chlorine based cleaner mixed with algaecide, creating a hazmat situation. The farm will reopen Friday, and there’s no harm to the public. The injured worker is going to be okay.

Comments are closed.