GRANBY, Mass. (WWLP) – One person was brought to the hospital following a chemical spill at Dickinson Farm on Route 202 in Granby Thursday morning.
Granby Fire Capt. George Randall told 22News that two common chemicals- an algaecide and a chlorine cleaner that is the equivalent of liquid pool shock accidentally got mixed inside the greenhouse.
Granby firefighters and police, as well as an Amherst hazardous materials team, and officials from the Massachusetts DEP were called to the farm.
“When we identify materials that are beyond the scope of what local fire departments can handle, we call in the technical team. They have a higher level of training and they come into events like this and handle the remediation activity, cleanup, identification of chemicals,” Randall said.
One farm worker was brought to the hospital solely as a precaution, and he has already been released.
Randall said that there is no harm to the public, and the crews were gone by the afternoon.
The farm was shut down Thursday, but will be open for business again on Friday.