SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Firefighters, gas, and electric company workers were called to the area near the White Street School in Springfield Thursday morning, due to a natural gas leak inside a sewer.
Springfield Deputy Fire Chief Glenn Guyer told 22News that the leak had migrated from the sewer to an electrical vault, which was being checked out as of 8:20 A.M. He said that the readings were very low.
The school, as well as 10-15 homes on nearby Scott Street were checked out to make sure that there was no gas leaking there. Guyer said that White Street students were allowed to go to class as normal, but they had to use a different entrance to the building.