Southwick firefighters stopped chimney fire, save home

It was a severe creosote blockage in the chimney

southwick fire 042715

SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – Southwick firefighters were able to contain a raging chimney fire before it spread to the rest of the house, Monday afternoon.

Southwick Fire Chief Richard Anderson told 22News that firefighters arrived to flames shooting out of the chimney of a small one-family home on Norwood Road, a few minutes before 4:00 p.m. Monday.

“It was a severe creosote blockage in the chimney,” Chief Anderson told 22News. “So that was our concern; that was a ball of flame in there. We had to get that out, and keep it from extending to the rest of the residence.”

The damage was confined to the chimney, which will need repair for a crack visible from outside the house. Chief Anderson said there was some smoke damage inside, but the residents were able to go back inside after firefighters left.

No one was hurt.

blog comments powered by Disqus