Jurors cry at autopsy photos; Prosecution rests case in Tsarnaev trial

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, second from right, is depicted with his lawyers, left, beside U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr., right, as O'Toole addresses a pool of potential jurors in a jury assembly room at the federal courthouse, Monday, Jan. 5, 2015, in Boston. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. His trial is scheduled to begin on Jan. 26. He could face the death penalty if convicted. (AP Photo/Jane Flavell Collins)

BOSTON (WPRI) — The prosecution rested its case Monday in the Boston Marathon Bombings trial, but not before an emotional morning in court.

According to live Tweets from inside Boston Federal Court, the prosecution wrapped its case shortly after noon. The defense then began its case after a short break.

The prosecution – which has called 92 witnesses over 15 days of testimony – ended its case with Dr. Henry Nields, chief medical examiner for Massachusetts.

Three jurors openly wept Monday as Nields displayed a photo of a gaping wound in Martin Richard’s abdomen. The 8-year-old was the youngest of three people killed in the attacks. More than 260 others were injured.

Nields says Martin received injuries to virtually every part of his body, including lacerations of his liver, left kidney and spleen. He says Martin’s stomach was also ruptured.

Nields says Martin suffered broken bones and third-degree burns. The injuries caused him to bleed to death.

Martin was standing on a metal barricade watching runners cross the finish line of the April 15, 2013, marathon when the bombs exploded.

Nields also showed jurors the blood-stained and shredded clothing the boy was wearing.

Jurors looked at the clothing somberly. One juror put her hand up to her face.

The clothing was shown as Martin’s parents listened from the second row of the courtroom. Bill Richard kept his arm around his wife’s shoulder.

Prosecutors also showed the jury a close-up photograph of Tsarnaev standing just feet behind Martin.

The photo shows several children standing on a metal barricade watching runners cross the finish line. Among the children is Martin. Next to him is his 6-year-old sister, Jane, who lost a leg in the second blast. Several feet behind them is Tsarnaev.

First on the stand Monday was medical examiner Dr. Katherine Lindstrom, who described gaping leg wounds that caused a 23-year-old woman to bleed to death from one of the blasts.

Lindstrom says Lingzi Lu’s femoral artery in her left leg was essentially cut in half, causing her to quickly bleed to death. Lu was a Chinese national and a graduate student at Boston University.

During opening statements, Tsarnaev’s lawyer admitted that he participated in the bombings but said his older brother, Tamerlan, was the mastermind. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a shootout with police days after the bombings.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments are closed.