Conway sugarhouse damaged by fire open for business

Everyone got outside of the building safely

CONWAY, Mass. (WWLP) – A sugarhouse in the Franklin County town of Conway was damaged from a fire Sunday, but the owner of Boyden Brothers Sugarhouse told 22News that they are open and ready for business.

Around 1 o’clock Sunday, Howard Boyden was boiling sap when a spark from the wood fire was taken by the wind into the wood storage area and started a fire. Everyone got outside of the building, and Boyden used a garden hose to keep the fire from spreading. A man passing by also stopped to help, before firefighters arrived.

Boyden said firefighters made a miraculous save and he only lost a few thousand dollars worth of equipment. Now the community is helping to repair what was damaged. “Family, friends, neighbors, fellow sugar makers. People I hardly see twice a year. It’s just Conway and the surrounding communities it’s just amazing.”

Boyden says he’s not going to lose more than the 15 gallons of sap that he had to dump out during the fire. He will also be collecting sap and boiling, with warmer temperatures expected this week.

Comments are closed.