(CNN) – The U.S. military has pulled the last of its personnel out of Yemen. Saturday night, the State Department said about one hundred special operations forces had already been evacuated from the al Anad airbase.
Officials say the move is due to continued civil unrest in the country, but some are concerned about fallout here at home. “These developments in Yemen greatly disturb me because of their potential to attack the United States,” Rep. Michael McCaul said.
The State Department says the deteriorating security situation has forced the U.S. to pull about 100 navy seals and army delta force members from the country. Officials call the move a “temporary relocation.”
House homeland security chairman Michael McCaul told ABC this week he’s worried about the consequences of a U.S. withdrawal, “We’ll have no intelligence footprint or capabilities to monitor what AQAP and ISIS and the Shia militants with doing there. Good intelligence stops plots in the homeland. Without that intelligence, we can’t effectively stop it.”
Historically, the United States has worked with Yemen’s government to combat al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. The terrorist group is based there, but recent internal strife has rocked that relationship. The U.S. closed its embassy in Sanaa in February.
Friday, Yemen’s state-run news agency reported at least 137 people were killed in two separate explosions at mosques in the capital, hundreds more were injured. ISIS claimed responsibility, though CNN hasn’t confirmed that.
The incident prompted this response from the white house, “We’re seeing extremists try and capitalize on the chaos and instability inside of Yemen to carry out these acts of violence,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest.
Sunday, the United Nations Security Council met to discuss the situation. The adviser to the secretary general on Yemen urged all sides to find a way to avert a civil war.
U.S. troops could be facing danger at home, too. A group calling itself the “Islamic state hacking organization” posted names, pictures, and home addresses of u-s service members to the internet Saturday calling for beheadings and attacks.
Government officials are looking into the validity of the threats and are recommending service members and their families to check their on-line privacy settings.
Copyright CNN 2015