WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says portions of its unclassified computer network that it shut down last week are back online. That follows the completion of security upgrades in response to attempted hacking attacks.
The department said Tuesday the planned outage that since Friday had affected some Internet-linked systems on the network, including email, was over. It said service has been “fully restored.” In announcing the outage on Friday, the department said it would likely last through the weekend to make improvements to respond to “activity of concern.”
The department has been the target of numerous cyberattacks in recent months and was forced to take a similar step late last year. It said none of the department’s classified systems has been compromised.
Copyright Associated Press