CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Serve up some delicious Guinness beef stew in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Personal Chef Bill Collins from ChefBill.com showed us how to make it.
Guinness Beef Stew
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 lbs stew beef,
4 onions, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 cup beef stock
1+ teaspoon ginger, peeled and sliced
zest of one orange
12 oz Guinness Stout (or other beer)
4 potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 300°
1. In a stockpot over a medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of the oil, and approximately 1/3 of the beef. Brown the beef on all sides, and remove from pan. Repeat this for all of the beef, and set aside.
2. Add the onions, carrot, and celery to the stockot, and reduce the heat to medium. Sautee for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables have started to cook through.
3. Add approximately ¼ cup of stock to the pan, and with a wooden spoon, scrape up any bits stuck to the pan. Add the beef, ginger, and orange zest. Add the remaining beef stock, and bring to a simmer. Add the Guinness (or other beer), and place in the oven for 90 minutes.
4. After 90 minutes, add the potatoes if the beef is cooked through. If the beef isn’t cooked, then check it every 15 minutes. Return the stockpot to the oven
5. Removce from the oven after th epotatoes are cooked though, approximately 15 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.