Urgent Care Center in Northampton evacuated after gas leak

The gas mixture was at the "100% capacity for an explosion"

NORTHAMPTON. Mass. (WWLP) – Snow fell from a roof and onto a gas meter in Northampton Wednesday afternoon, causing a natural gas leak on Hatfield Street.

Gas leak NOHO 2The Northampton Fire Department was called to the On Call Urgent Care Center at 6 Hatfield Street. Columbia Gas Company found a gas mixture in the basement that was at 100-percent capacity for a potential explosion at around 5:00 p.m.

By 5:30 p.m., it was brought down to 4-percent explosion capacity. Crews were able to ventilate the basement with fans.

There were about a dozen people inside the building who needed to be evacuated. One Urgent Care employee told 22News what happened when the gas started to leak.

Casey Savino, an On Call Urgent Care employee, told 22News, “We all heard a loud bang. There were a couple of my coworkers who were by the windows. We happened to look outside and we heard a hissing noise. 2 of them went outside to check it and they smelled gas, and as soon as that happened we had to clear the building as quick as we could.”

Urgent Care workers were able to go back inside at around 6:00 p.m. to collect their belongings. Florence roofing company helped remove the remaining snow off the roof and from around the broken gas meter.

Comments are closed.