CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Looking to get your heart healthier? Herbal Information Specialist Jonathan Evans, from The Herbarium in Chicopee showed us ‘Healthy Herbs & Supplements’
Heart Healthy Herbs & Supplements
- Magnesium: Magnesium is finally getting the attention it has so richly deserved for so many conditions. Hear-wise magnesium can help with arrhythmia- irregular and abnormally fast heart beats or atrial fibrillation. Improves blocked arteries and blood pressure. Magnesium is nature’s calcium channel blocker.
- Garlic: Thins the blood, reduces clotting.
- Ginkgo biloba: increases circulation, reduces the stickiness of platelets, anti-inflammatory and strengthens blood vessels.
- Hawthorn berry, leaf and flowers: Natures most perfect cardio-tonic! It dilates peripheral and coronary blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, ( or raises it) reduces angina attacks,strengthens heart contractions, improves blood flow throughout the body maintains integrity of venal and atrial walls increases blood flow to the heart, antispasmodic
- Motherwort: helps to strengthen and normalize function, Nervine, helps relax in situations where anxiety or tension may affect pulse and for spasms. A motherwort/hawthorn combination will help with the physical and the “emotional ” heart.
- Cayenne: red pepper, potent circulatory stimulant, strengthens heart, arteries and capillaries.
- Linden or lime flower used for tension and stress, hypertension,
- Astragalus: stimulates circulation, especially if used with Dong quai, lowers pressure
- Bioflavinoids, the rest of the vitamin C complex. anti inflammatory strengthen blood vessels.
- Fish or Flax oils, the omegas… anti inflammatory helps cardio vascular functions.Blood thinning effect.
- Grapeseed extract: strengthens blood vessels, anti inflammatory
- Co enzyme Q10: helps with angina, congestive heart failure, arrhythmia, excellent for cell function ,
- Ginger: anticoagulant, blood thinner, anti inflammatory increases circulation