Falling snow & ice causes gas leak in Chicopee

Columbia Gas will speak with the building manager

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – The gas has been turned off at a commercial building in Chicopee after a significant amount of snow and ice fell from the roof, damaging the gas meter.

Columbia Gas of Massachusetts Spokeswoman Andrea Luppi told 22News a crew and Chicopee Firefighters investigated the gas leak at 425 Meadow Street late Wednesday afternoon and turned off the gas.

She said that this is rare, snow falling and damaging a gas meter, which means there must have been a lot of snow on top of the roof that fell. Fearing the possibility of more snow falling, crews will return on Thursday to speak with the building manager before repairing the problem.

It is very important to make sure to clear the snow off your roofs safely, and even more important to clear a path to your gas meter, it could save your life. Click Here to hear what Luppi told 22News Reporter Yoojin Cho in an earlier report on protecting your home.

More Information:
– Local Forecast – Severe WX Text Alerts
– Temperatures – Severe WX Email Alerts
– Weather News – Live Area Webcams
– Interactive Radar – Winter Safety Checklist

Comments are closed.