SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A firefighter who risked his life to save another, a driver who stopped to perform CPR in an emergency, and a mother who led an effort to build a playground for children of all abilities are among those who will be honored by the Red Cross this year as Hometown Heroes.
The Red Cross of Western Massachusetts announced their selections for 2015 Hometown Heroes late Tuesday morning. The nine honorees will be celebrated during the annual Hometown Heroes breakfast on March 19:
- Lt. Brian Tredo: A Springfield firefighter who risked his life to save a man who was trapped in a sixth floor apartment during a fire.
- Sue Lecrenski and Whitney Shortt: A bus driver and Agawam school student who together saved the life of a child who was having a severe allergic reaction.
- Paul Ganieany, Jr.: A nursing student from Ludlow who stopped his car, got out, and performed CPR on a man he saw collapsed on the sidewalk.
- Landon Himmelreich: An 11 year-old student from Chicopee who collected a pickup truck full of supplies that he donated to the homeless.
- Gina Kenison and Radcliffe Kenison, Jr.: East Longmeadow parents of two children with autism that founded the nonprofit group “Radcliffe is the Reason, and Arthur, too: Fight for Autism” to raise awareness and provide support for people with autism and their families.
- Matthew Gosselin: An EMT from Springfield who provided CPR to a new member of the Meadows Masonic Lodge in East Longmeadow as both men were being initiated.
- Vicky Martins Auffrey: Belchertown mother who created the group “Team Jessica” in honor of her daughter, who has Rett Syndrome. She led an effort to create a playground that is 100% handicap accessible; allowing children of all abilities to play together in a fun environment.
22News reporter Sy Becker will serve as emcee of the event, being held at the MassMutual Center in Springfield. The event will also be streaming live here on WWLP.com. In the days leading up to the breakfast, be sure to tune in to 22News to watch profiles of these heroes, and how they have made a difference in others’ lives and our communities.
22News is proud to be a media sponsor of this annual celebration.