CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – When it comes to maintaining romance, what are the keys to a healthy relationship? Clinical Psychologist Dr. Elaine Ducharme shared important ingredients to making love last.
7 Key Ingredients for a Healthy Relationship
1. Remember the positives – Why you fell in love…keep them front and center
2. Trust -If you are constantly checking each others cell phone messages…there is no trust
3. Be friends and respect each other – Remember good friends don’t try to hurt each other…they have each other’s back and
4. Communicate and Don’t make assumptions – If not sure ask…are you mad at me is something I did bothering you Do you need space etc
5. Remember the healing power of touch – Not just sex…holding hands, back rubs light touches on the arm etc. (as long as the other person isn’t objecting
6. Give gifts that are special to your partner – Not something you want
7. Say the words I love you – This is one place that an occasional text with these words in the middle of the day can be lovely. Just don’t let it replace saying the words in person.