CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Many people applying to a new job often make critical mistakes on their applications without even knowing it. Business and Career Coach Angela Lussier, from DoMakeBusiness.com, shared the 5 mistakes you need to avoid.
Top 5 Mistakes Job Seekers Make
1. Pressing “send”, sitting back, and waiting
Don’t just rely on your resume! Being reactive by responding to job posts and not seeking out relationships will make your job search much longer
2. Not investigating how your skills translate into other industries and missing opportunities
Think about your responsibilities, minus the job title. What else could you be doing with your experience?
3. Not following up
If you don’t hear back about a job you applied for, it’s okay to wait five business days and follow up. Just a simple question will do: “Did you receive my resume, and, if so, when are you scheduling interviews?”
4. Thinking like an employee, not a business owner
What is important to a business owner? How can you illustrate you have what it takes?
5. Not making an effort to help others
People will help you find a job, but you have to help them, too. Which relationships, skills or experiences can you leverage?
Finding Your Dream Job
1. Finding your passion
2. Strengths and weaknesses
3. How to get a promotion at work
4. Is business ownership for you?
5. The 5 biggest mistakes made on a resume/cover letter
6. Social media presence; understanding your online footprint
7. How to network
8. Searching/Applying for jobs 101
9. Interviewing 101; Important questions to ask
10. Dress for success; what you should and shouldn’t wear on a job interview