SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Ice and snow can clog pipes and create a dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in your home.
To avoid the risk, National Grid is reminding customers to pay close attention to the snow near natural gas meters and around vents outside.
Ice and snow falling from your roof can also damage gas meters, and even create a gas leak. If you smell natural gas, experts recommend calling your utility company and leaving your house or business immediately. You should also check your carbon monoxide detectors frequently to make sure they’re working properly.
If you’re doing last minute snow removal, or hiring a professional service to clear away snow for you, make sure they know where your gas meters are located. That way, you can avoid accidentally piling snow around vents.
Trees and high winds can knock down power lines and leave you without electricity during a snowstorm. Before a storm hits, it’s a good idea to double check flashlights to make sure their working correctly, as well as keep extra batteries close by.
If you do lose power, you probably won’t be able to charge your smartphone or laptop which siis when battery-powered portable radios could come in handy.
If possible, try making a grocery store trip before a storm hits to stock up on extra food and bottled water. It’s recommended you look for high energy food and canned food that doesn’t need to be cooked or refrigerated.
If you need any prescription refills, make sure you call your doctor or pharmacy a few days before a storm to make sure you have important medications when needed.