Odor from elevator led to school evacuation

Investigators determined the motor had overheated

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A Springfield middle school was briefly evacuated Thursday morning, due to concerns about an odor coming from an elevator.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that after 10:00, students at the Duggan Middle School were evacuated. Fire investigators determined that the smell was coming from an overheated motor, and that there had not actually been a fire.

Students were let back inside, and classes have resumed as normal.

Comments are closed.