4 Hampshire College workers treated for carbon monoxide

Problem traced to malfunctioning boiler in cafeteria

AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) – Four Hampshire College cafeteria workers were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday afternoon, due to a boiler malfunction.

Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson told 22News that two people in the school’s cafeteria had reported dizziness, nausea, and shortness of breath. A third person reported similar symptoms before an ambulance got there, while a fourth person with those symptoms had gone home before being brought to the hospital.

Nelson said firefighters evacuated the dining hall, suspecting that there was carbon monoxide. He says that the cause was determined to be a malfunction in one of the building’s two boilers.

Comments are closed.