CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – If you’re applying for a job, it’s easy to make mistakes on your resumes and cover letters…but some of those mistakes could end up costing you that job.
Business and Career Coach Angela Lussier, shared common mistakes you need to avoid.
5 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
1. Not sharing accomplishments, only listing job descriptions.
2. Highlighting too many skills and looking like a Jack of All Trades.
3. Forgetting to include awards, scholarships, promotions.
4. Including information from 10+ years ago.
5. Not targeting the information to that employer or job.
5 Cover Letter Mistakes to Avoid
1. Not being specific; listing various skills with no proof.
2. Forgetting to tell a story that illustrates your abilities.
3. Too long. Only share what makes you shine.
4. Not addressing areas that may be “red flags” on your resume.
5. Using “To Whom It May Concern.” Do your homework!
Finding Your Dream Job
1. Finding your passion
2. Strengths and weaknesses
3. How to get a promotion at work
4. Is business ownership for you?
5. The 5 biggest mistakes made on a resume/cover letter
6. Social media presence; understanding your online footprint
7. How to network
8. Searching/Applying for jobs 101
9. Interviewing 101; Important questions to ask
10. Dress for success; what you should and shouldn’t wear on a job interview