SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – As the snow storm intensifies in western Massachusetts, temperatures will continue to drop. If the power goes out, a lot people use a portable generator to provide power to heat their home. Those generators should never be taken inside your home, including your garage; even if the garage door is open.
A specialist at Rocky’s Ace Hardware told 22News that generators give off carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. You can’t see or smell it, which is why this time of year especially, a working carbon monoxide and smoke detector is essential.
“It’s very important for the safety of the family. Make sure the batteries are changed. Make sure everything’s working. Test them,” Wayne Jackson of Rocky’s said.
When it comes to space heaters, pay attention to the number of watts the unit uses. It could be a fire hazard if that number is higher than is what the electrical circuit you’re plugging it in to can handle.
The State Fire Marshal said you should keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything flammable like curtains, couches, or bedding. Click Here for more fire safety tips from the Fire Marshal.
- Download our free weather app
- Sign up for text alerts
- Western Massachusetts parking bans
- Snowfall Map: western Mass. totals