Safety reminders for power outages

Generators can cause carbon monoxide buildup

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Big winter storms with strong winds bring the potential for power outages. It’s a time when many people turn to generators, but it’s important to operate your generator safely.

A generator is not meant to run inside your home, your garage, or near where the generators exhaust fumes can get inside your home. Generators can cause a colorless and odorless gas called carbon monoxide to build up. Carbon monoxide is called ‘the silent killer’.

Click here for tips on safe generator use from National Grid.

Another potential safety hazard during power outages: the use of candles. They can be dangerous if knocked over. You’re better off using a battery powered lantern or flashlight.

Some safety tips for burning candles, at any time, in your home: 

  • Burn candles within a one-foot circle, free of anything that can burn.
  • Never leave candles burning unattended.
  • Always extinguish candles after use.
  • Use a non-combustible saucer or candleholder.
  • Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
  • Consider switching to battery-operated flameless candles.

Click here for more tips to keep you and your family safe during a storm.

Comments are closed.