Longmeadow family homeless after kitchen fire

A faulty appliance may have started the fire

longmeadow fire

LONGMEADOW, Mass. (WWLP) – As many as seven people had to find someplace else to stay Friday night after a dinner-hour fire in their Longmeadow home.

Longmeadow Fire Captain Bill DeFord told 22News the fire started in the kitchen moments after 6:00 p.m. Friday in a house at the corner of Llewellyn Street and Benedict Terrace.

Captain DeFord said it appeared a faulty appliance may have started the fire.

“There was heavy fire damage in the kitchen.,” said Captain Deford. “It’s old-style balloon construction, so we had to de-plaster walls to check for fire on both the first and second floors.”

DeFord said there was a lot of smoke damage throughout the house.

No one was hurt.

DeFord said one family lived there, but he was uncertain whether there were six or seven people in the family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s