9 people homeless after a fire on Massachusetts Ave.

Image Courtesy: Springfield Fire Department

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield firefighters were able to quickly put out a fire at a multi-family home in the city’s Upper Hill neighborhood Tuesday afternoon.

Flames and smoke could be seen coming from the third floor of the house at 105 Massachusetts Avenue. Dennis Ledger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, the fire started due to an unattended candle, and caused $70,000 worth of damages.

Ledger added that 6 people lived on the 2nd and 3rd floor, and 3 people lived on the 1st floor; all are now homeless and being assisted by the American Red Cross. Everyone was able to make it out safely.

Comments are closed.