Falcons edge Monarchs, 3-2, in overtime

The Falcons are back in action on Friday, Jan. 9

credit: Springfield Falcons

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Falcons Media) – The Springfield Falcons edged the Manchester Monarchs, 3-2, in overtime Sunday afternoon at the MassMutual Center.

Trent Vogelhuber redirected a Jaime Sifer’s shot 3:59 into the extra frame to keep the Falcons undefeated in the five overtime games they’ve played at home this season. The Falcons have gone to overtime in six of their last seven games.

The afternoon’s win gives the Falcons a 24-10-2-0 record and a 2-1-0-0 lead in the four-game season series against the Monarchs. The Falcons also take sole possession of the Northeast Division with 50 points. The Monarchs now sit at 24-7-2-1 and have a one point advantage over the Falcons in the Eastern Conference.

Springfield goaltender Anton Forsberg turned away 28 of 30 shots in victory, while his Monarchs counterpart Patrik Bartosak stopped 22 of 25. The Falcons were able to notch one power-play tally in four opportunities. The penalty kill unit stopped three of five Monarchs man-advantages.

The Falcons opened scoring at the 8:38 mark of the first period and carried their lead into the intermission. Frederic St. Denis started the play at the blue line during a 5-on-3 man-advantage. St. Denis passed down to T.J. Tynan at the bottom of the left circle. A clean cross-slot pass allowed Luke Adam to redirect the puck past Bartosak for his fourth goal since joining the Falcons on Dec. 16.

The Monarchs evened the score with 8:04 remaining in the second. While on the power play, Andrew Bodnarchuk fired off a shot that was blockered away by Forsberg. However, Nick Shore was waiting to the left of the crease to pick up the rebound. Brian O’Neill picked up the secondary assist.

Manchester took the lead 8:32 into the final period, but the Falcons were able to come back and force overtime. Derek Forbort carried the puck into Falcons’ zone. He played to the right wing for Sean Backman to give the Monarchs a 2-1 lead on the power play. Jordan Weal picked up a point on the go-ahead goal.

With just 2:38 remaining in the game, the Falcons tied it up. After a dominating series of shots by the Falcons, Josh Anderson was able to get a stick on the rebound of Lukas Sedlak’s shot from the blue line and net his fourth of the season to keep the Falcons in the game. Jaime Sifers grabbed a point for the secondary helper.

In overtime, Sifers powered a shot from the right point that was redirected by Vogelhuber to give the Falcons a 3-2 victory. St. Denis also earned credit for assisting on the game-winner.

The Falcons are back in action on Friday, Jan. 9 when they travel to face the Providence Bruins before returning to the MassMutual Center to host the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m.

Comments are closed.