Christmas Eve fire in Southwick ruled accidental

Mother saved her little boy from fire

SOUTHWICK, Mass. (WWLP) – The State Fire Marshal and Southwick Fire Dept. have determined the cause of a fire that started Christmas Eve night, leaving one boy injured.

On Wednesday night, at 6 Two States Avenue, a mother smashed through a window to save her two year old son before the house burned down. The boy was sent to Shriner’s hospital in Boston, but is expected to be okay. No one else was seriously hurt.

According to Jennifer Mieth of the Department of Fire Services, investigators determined that the fire started in the living room of the basement apartment, near the Christmas tree and the couch.

The fire is being ruled as accidental, undetermined, Mieth said. She noted that Christmas trees provide heavy additional fuel to fires allowing them to spread faster.

Investigators ruled out the electrical wiring circuit that fed the Christmas tree, but could not rule out the lights on the tree or other possible causes inside the apartment because of the extent of the damage.

The fire was investigated by the Southwick Fire Department and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

A “YouCaring” fundraising website has been set up to help the Southwick family that lost their home Christmas Day. Click Here if you’d like to help out.

Comments are closed.