CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Hanukkah begins tonight so we made Jeff’s Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes with Jeff Rembrandt, the Assistant Executive Director at the Springfield Jewish Community Center.
Latkes and Vodkas for Adults
Saturday, December 21st, 7:30PM
At the Springfield Jewish Community Center
For 21+, come enjoy pairings of latkes and vodkas!
For more information visit SpringfieldJCC.org.
Jeff’s Spicy Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 large sweet potato, grated (2 cups)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, or 1 small onion chopped fine (if you like more onion flavor)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon matzo meal
- 3/4 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce (or a little more if you choose)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- avocado oil for frying
1. Great the sweet potato, either with a box greater or a food processor
2. Dump the grated potato onto a clean kitchen towel or cheese cloth and squeeze as much liquid out of them as you can
3. Combine grated sweet potato, scallions, egg, matzo meal, hot sauce and salt in medium bowl.
4. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Working with half of the mixture at a time, drop 1/4 cup of the mixture into the skillet, spreading with back of the spoon to a 3-inch round.
5. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding more oil if necessary.
6. Serve immediately.
7. Best served with sour cream