CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Holiday Cookies just got easier! You can make six cookies all from one, ‘mother’ dough! Food and entertaining expert Liz Corbett showed us how.
” Mother Dough”
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup butter ( 2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients separately. Cream butter and sugar, add vanilla. Then add dry ingredients a little at a time.
- Split dough in half, and cover to chill.
- Sugar Cookie option: use dough as is, roll into ¼ inch thick on floured surface, cut into shapes, sprinkle w/sugar. And bake 8-10 min until golden.
- Chocolate: Add ¼ cup cocoa power to room temp. mother dough. (half recipe) Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and add to dough, mixing well. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in course sugar. 10 minutes until set. Optional: press a Hershey’s kiss (peppermint!) into center when almost cooled.
- Spice Cookies: add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon ground ginger and 1 Tablespoon molasses to ½ recipe mother dough. Mix well and roll into 1” balls and into sugar. Bake as above. Let cool on cookie sheet slightly before removing.
- Sliced cookies: Using mother dough, roll into log shape about 2 inches across, max. Roll entire ‘log’ onto colored sugar, finely chopped nuts, or colored sprinkles. Chill until firm, wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap. Slice into ¼ in. rounds and bake on cookie sheet.
- Chocolate dipped. Bake as sliced cookies, with no coating. When cool, dip half into melted chocolate, let cool on wax paper in refridgerator until set.
- White chocolate, cranberry almond. To ½ mother dough, add ¼ cup dried cranberries, 1 cup white chocolate chips, and ¼ cup chopped almonds. (or sliced) Bake as sugar cookies