CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You’ve got your thanksgiving menu picked out, but what about your Black Friday breakfast? Annie Lytle-Rich from Shelburn Falls Coffee Roasters made Breakfast Strata.
An egg, bacon, sausage, and red pepper casserole
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time (minutes): 1 hour
- 8 oz thick cut bacon
- 8 oz bulk breakfast sausage
- ½ white onion, coarsely chopped
- 9 pieces of French bread, toasted or a day old
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 12 eggs
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9 x 13 in pan and set aside.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon on medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel. Fry the sausage in the bacon fat on medium heat. Just as the sausage is almost cooked through, add the onion, garlic, and red pepper. Sauté until onion and red pepper have softened. Meanwhile, coarsely chop bacon. Remove sausage mixture from the skillet and add to bacon.
- Combine milk, cream, eggs, mustard powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until the mixture is uniform.
- Place half of the bread slices in the 9 x 13 inch pan in a single layer. Sprinkle half the sausage and bacon mixture over the bread, then add a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat this layering. Pour egg mixture evenly over the pan. Add a final layer of cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is slightly browned. Let cool for 10 minute and serve.