Tips to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide

Calls about carbon monoxide increase in cold weather months

carbon monoxide detector

WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Now that colder weather has arrived, people are heating their homes, and that means that the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning is rising.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that comes from burning fuels. Last year, fire departments in Massachusetts were called to close to 5,000 incidents in which carbon monoxide was present. West Springfield Deputy Fire Chief Daniel Culver told 22News that now is the time to make sure that you reduce your risk.

“What’s happening now is people are shutting their windows buttoning up their houses; turning on their wood stoves, the pellet stoves, the furnaces. And if they haven’t been properly cleaned by a licensed professional to make sure there’s no chimney blockage etcetera, that’s when carbon monoxide can get back in the house,” Culver said.

Here are some other tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • If you need to warm up your car, take it out of the garage. Do nut run it in the garage, even if the garage door is open.
  • Only use generators outside, and keep them away from windows and doors.
  • The state fire marshal says it’s important to have working carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home.

If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, you should evacuate your home and call the fire department right away.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s