Electrical fire being investigated at an Agawam complex

Pets died, but no humans were hurt in Sunday afternoon fire

AGAWAM, Mass. (WWLP) – 22News spoke with Agawam Fire Department Chief Alan Sirois, who said Sunday’s fire started from an electrical malfunction in one of the Shibley Court apartments. The Agawam Fire Department is still investigating what went wrong.

Nearly 70 people who lived in the 36 apartments were evacuated around 3:30 Sunday afternoon. Nobody was injured, but a few pets didn’t make it out of the burning building. It hasn’t been determined yet if or when the families could go back inside.

Debra Dore, a victim of the fire, has been forced out of her apartment. She is now staying with seven others at the Red Roof Inn in West Springfield, worried about how she’ll start over. “I woke up this morning and pinched myself and thought it was a dream, and all I keep saying today is that I want to go home,” says Dore. “And there’s no home to go to.”

The Pioneer Valley chapter of the American Red Cross has been giving some of the victims personal hygiene items for the time being. They are asking for your help donating any clothing or household items to these families.

Comments are closed.