FOXBORO, Mass. (WPRI) — The owners of a popular event venue that was destroyed by fire earlier this year broke ground on a new building Thursday.
The Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro was destroyed after a fire tore through the venue during a wedding reception in April. The flames, which were ignited from a discarded cigarette, broke out just moments after a bride and groom had finished their vows and walked down the aisle.
More than 200 wedding guests were inside of the building where the fire broke out and each guest made it out safely. No injuries were reported.
The Lakeview Pavilion was exempt to the new sprinkler laws that were passed after the deadly Station Nightclub fire in 2003, fire officials confirmed. According to Deputy Chief Steve Bagley, sprinklers may not have helped extinguish the fire due to the wooden frame and construction of the more than century-old building.
The venue’s co-owners Anastasia Tsoumbanos and Natalia Kapourelakos said shortly after the fire that they were committed to quickly rebuilding an even better Lakeview Pavilion. Over 200 couples were forced to reschedule events that were planned at the venue through fall of 2015.
Both Tsoumbanos and Kapourelakos, as well as several Foxboro town officials, attended Thursday’s groundbreaking ceremony. At the ceremony, artist renderings of the plans for the new Lakeview Pavilion were released.