SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Meet Mass Appeal’s pet of the week!
Name: Hurley & Chanel
Age: Hurley: 2 years old/Chanel: 3 years old
Sex: Hurley: Male/Chanel: Female
Color: Brown & white coats
About Hurley and Chanel:
Hurley and Chanel are adorable ferrets who are pair-bonded. We’re offering them at a “2 Fur 1” special adoption rate. They were brought to Dakin in May, and we’ve been trying to find a home for them together since then. Ferrets are fun-loving and mischievous and love to collect and hide household items, so you always want to be around to supervise when they enjoy time outside their cage. Bonus, ferrets can also learn litter box training!
Basic facts about ferrets:
- Their habitat should be cleaned about once a week (also, bedding changed once a week), with litter box cleaning daily
- A well-balanced ferret diet consists of high quality ferret food, chlorine-free filtered water
- Limit amounts of ferret treats!
- Ferrets need a large, multi-tiered wire-sided habitat with good ventilation, a secure door and a solid floor. Openings between the wires should be small enough to be escape-proof
- They love to have hammocks to sleep in
- Toys and a hiding box are a must for their habitat to keep them happy and stimulated
Matching Donor Program
From now through November 15, an anonymous donor will match any monetary donation to Dakin Humane Society up to $100,000! This is an amazing act of kindness that will make everyone’s donation go TWICE as far for the next few weeks.
Cats Fixed Free in Zip Codes 01040 & 01108
Thanks to a special grant from PetSmart Charities, Dakin is able to offer free spay/neuter surgery to cats living with families in the zip codes 01040 (Holyoke) & 01108 (part of Springfield). These two zip codes were selected because Dakin was receiving the highest number of homeless cats from those two specific areas. If anyone lives in a different zip code and is having trouble affording standard vet fees for spay/neuter surgery, call Dakin’s Community Spay/Neuter Clinic at 413.781.4019 and we will work with you to make this affordable.
Pet Safety Tips
No table foods, moldy foods, poultry bones
No grapes & raisins
No alcoholic beverages
Be careful with ornaments, ribbons & tinsel
Holiday plants can be dangerous
If you’re interested in adopting any of the pets seen on Mass Appeal, or want more information on any of the pets available at the Dakin Humane Society, you can call them at 781-4000 or visit DakinHumane.org.