Patrick: Holder’s job is “not one for me right now”

Governor had long been rumored as a possible replacement

BOSTON (WWLP) – Governor Deval Patrick, who in the past has been rumored as a possible replacement for U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, said Thursday that he is not ready to take the job at this time.

The governor addressed the issue during an event Thursday morning, shortly after it was revealed that Holder would be leaving his top post at the Justice Department. The governor praised the work that Holder has done as the country’s top prosecutor.

“First of all I want to say of Eric Holder that he has distinguished himself and the role of the Attorney General, as Attorney General, and I thank him for his service to the administration and his service to the nation,” Patrick said. “That’s an enormously important job but it’s not one for me right now.”

The governor’s name had been frequently mentioned as a possible replacement for Holder back in 2013, as President Obama began his second term in office. Patrick and Obama are close political allies and personal friends, and both share Chicago ties. There was no need to find a replacement, however, as Holder stayed on into the president’s second term.

Governor Patrick is leaving office after the end of his term in January. If he were to be appointed Attorney General while still in office, Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin would serve as acting governor, as there is no lieutenant governor currently in office.

Comments are closed.