7 forced out by fire in Springfield home

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Food left on the stove caused a fire that forced seven people from their homes in Springfield’s McKnight neighborhood Thursday, a fire department spokesperson says.

Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that they were called to 166 Princeton Street at around 11:30 A.M.

Two families live in the home (two residents on the first floor and five on the second), and they are not being allowed to return due to the damage.

Leger said that the fire started a kitchen, when residents went out to walk a dog as food remained cooking on the stove.

The Red Cross will be assisting those families.

Comments are closed.